Collapse
No announcement yet.

QBL 2020 - Preseason

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wizards are coming into the QSL and looking to get into NBL1 in 2021, great effort!

Comment

My thoughts on how our leagues would ideally shake out next year. I understand some teams have already made decisions on next year and that some points have already been discussed somewhat, but I'll carry on for the sake of discussion.

I'd been thinking about this since the end of QBL19. This year boasted incredible individual talent getting around (again!), but as a spectator/observer it felt as though literally half the games each week were unwatchable/uninteresting due to the disparity of playing groups. 15 teams is too much and some culls need to be made to ensure the most competitive and marketable product is made available.

I haven't spoken to anyone from any association so I don't know where heads are at. Just my personal opinions below, not intending to offend anyone.

NBL1 North

1. Cairns
      2. Townsville
      3. Mackay
      4. Rockhampton
      5. Caps
      6. Gold Coast
      7. Spartans
      8. Logan
      9. South West
      10. Sunshine Coast

- full home and away 18 game season. North teams can cover south travel in two or three weekends. South teams can cover north travel in two weekends.

- Sunshine Coast would be a merger of Phoenix/Rip, which would be a gnarly playing group. I understand each is likely forging ahead on their own in 2020, which is disappointing.

- true that no points system of any kind would apply in 2020? If so I fear the inevitable pissing contest in overspending.

- Toowoomba, Seahawks, Ipswich, Gladstone gone, sorry fam.

- all teams must enter women's/men's

QSL

1. Gladstone
      2. Bundaberg
      3. Northside
      4. Seahawks
      5. Ipswich
      6. Toowoomba
      7. Sunshine Coast
      8. Caps
      9. Spartans
      10. Logan

- full home and away 18 game season

- one import/restricted slot, if teams want to use it

- all teams must enter women's/men's

- again I'm relying on Phoenix/Rip to unify for a team here, wishful thinking

- would a points system be needed/useful? I'm leaning towards nah?

- I'm thinking the team list is suitable for all given varying mix of likely playing stocks, facilities, spending ability

- have heard Bundy is giving serious thought to entering. Would bring in one import to each team to help boost playing groups which I'd estimate would be at the low end of the rankings right now. Having Bundy though is important in terms of linking travel to Gladstone games.

- culled South West and Gold Coast from this group only on the basis that they were bottom of SBL last year, and I wanted a 10 team competition.

- full stats kept

SBL

1. South West
      2. Gold Coast
      3. Seahawks
      4. Noosa
      5. Maroochydore
      6. Uni
      7. Caloundra
      8. Redlands
      9. Ipswich
      10. Northside
      11. Toowoomba
      12. Caboolture

- conceivable that some teams aren't entered and this may become a 10 team league, which makes for an 18 game home and away season

- no restricted players

- don't have to enter women's AND men's teams to play

- are there any emerging associations who may join on?

On as sidenote - as a massive consumer of the sport, I'd ideally like to see each comp be given it's on social media account on fb/insta. 1. they are FREE and most everyone is on them 2. it just makes following each competition much easier. Also nobody will ever agree to it due to cost, but how awesome would it be for each comp to have its own commish, who is then responsible for media releases, recaps and whatnot. Pay someone a token weekly amount to cover the duration of each league and get it done

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Ben, like what you suggest. I have commented before that I am absolutely in favour of 1 Sunshine Coast team (Ripnix) in NBL1 and both (Ripcity & Phoenix) to compete in the QSL.

Unfortunately, I have heard that both Sunshine Coast teams are entering NBL1.

There are enough quality players and youngsters coming through to foster this. And that fierce dislike of each-other will ensure that they are both competitive in QSL, even with their main players likely to be in the NBL1 team.

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        No cap on team numbers...whoever wants to nominate can.

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Toowoomba nominating for NBL1 is the very reason nominations should be capped, or accepted at the discretion of a commissioner. Nobody wants to see 50 point beat downs in a premier league.

NBL1 (or proposed anyway)
      Lets do the ladies first for giggles

1. Cairns - Not sure?
      2. Townsville - Brannen
      3. Mackay - No coach yet?
      4. Rockhampton - No coach yet?
      5. Caps - VDogg
      6. Gold Coast - Cassie Dover
      7. Spartans - Rebecca Stevens
      8. Logan - Old mate with the bad hair cut and too much time on his hand with the funky beard (I seriously cant remember his name)
      9. South West - Steve Edwards
      10. Sunshine Coast - ??

Is this close?

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Logan - Braden Heselhurst?
        Townsville - Luke Brennan*
        Mackay - Ian Haughton

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Bec Stephens out for Aja

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Kerry Williams for Cairns most likely.

Is the new NBL1 run by BQ or the NBL?

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        At this stage the exact same rules at QBL 2019 except threshold to make a NBL or WNBL player restricted has been raised from 14 min average playing time to 20 min.

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Huh? What do you mean by player restriction in QBL? If you got a player that should be in the NBL or could make the NBL why would you restrict him to 14 mins in QBL, did I miss something here?

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        No no. It's how many minutes they play in the "NBL" determines whether that player is "restricted" in the QBL. Each team is allowed 2 restricted players (either overseas players or NBL players who play OVER 14 minutes).

Any NBL player who plays under 14 minutes is "unrestricted".

Now they are saying with the new rules that any player who now plays under 20 minutes in the NBL is now an unrestricted player in the QBL/NBL1.

Ben Greany new head coach of the Cyclones https://facebook.com/RockhamptonCyclones/posts/2294621717332635

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
        Is the new NBL1 run by BQ or the NBL?
        100% agree...

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          100% agree to what? I really didn’t know who was in charge at this so called next level. Happy for you to post an option thou

NBL1 (or proposed anyway)
        Lets do the ladies first for giggles

1. Cairns - Not sure?
        2. Townsville - Brannen
        3. Mackay - No coach yet?
        4. Rockhampton - No coach yet?
        5. Caps - VDogg
        6. Gold Coast - Cassie Dover
        7. Spartans - Rebecca Stevens
        8. Logan - Old mate with the bad hair cut and too much time on his hand with the funky beard (I seriously cant remember his name)
        9. South West - Steve Edwards
        10. Sunshine Coast - ??

Is this close?
        Mackay still looking for a coach.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Bit of a non event in rocky....

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          what is the story from 9 news??

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Conlon appointed on GC on there Facebook page

Have south west got a menís coach yet

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Isn’t it old mate from up the mountain

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          announced jeremy kendle as the pirates NBL1 coach

Just heard on the rumour mill GC signed Cadee and gliddon wowsers if true

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Think you got your wires crossed champ. Rhys Martin is outta there! There is zero chance Seahawks allow their JDO to play with a rival team.

Like I said, this Cadee thing has b en in the works for a while. Rhys isn't stupid and secured a gig with the Seahawks.

Thanks for the muppet crack champ champ

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Get a hobby champ
          Slagging players or associations is a little low IQ
          If you’re so desperate for attention get a job as a guy waiving a sign in front of Dominos, at least people will notice you

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          How would Seahawks be considered a rival club to GC? They can’t afford to compete in NBL1 so they aren’t a rival. That’s simple. Muppet

Cyclones announced first signing for 2020 May Goulding Back as per The Morning Bulletin

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Huge signing. Nearly won the qtr final on her own last season

Townsville running back their old championship team with Mirko in for Wilcher.
        ahhhh a few things, Mirko didnt win a championship despite starting the season 11&0 before he left in 2016 and he's signed with the Marlins

Comment

How would Seahawks be considered a rival club to GC? They can’t afford to compete in NBL1 so they aren’t a rival. That’s simple. Muppet
          Local associations are usually rivals as they compete for same clientele. They aren't in NBL1 this year but doesn't mean they wont be there in future seasons. If they can keep the same squad as last season and add a quality import and build chemistry in QSL, then I am sure they wont be out of NBL1 for long.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with your reply. Take Sunny Coast as example. Ripcity started in QSL and now, certainly compete with Phoenix.

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            re above where I wrote: "I agree with your reply."
            On re-reading, I realised that I meant to agree with: "Local associations are usually rivals as they compete for same clientele. They aren't in NBL1 this year but doesn't mean they wont be there in future seasons. If they can keep the same squad as last season and add a quality import and build chemistry in QSL, then I am sure they wont be out of NBL1 for long."

Sorry!

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Seahawks don’t have the money and don’t have enough juniors or sponsors to support it.

Seahawks advertising for senior coaching applications for 2020. Applications close Friday.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Why would anyone do that???

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Because they didn't get a job in the NBL 1, or because they are Seahawks loyal.
        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x

What year did Brisbane host the World Expo?

Working...
        X