• Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Topic heading, Ben!

Comment

• Ben
      Ben commented
      Editing a comment
      Hah, yep! I’ll wait and see how our potential new leagues shake out and make the changes needed.

Gold Coast advertising for new Mens Head Coach position.

Comment

So who will be in the NBL1. I guessing

Cairns
      Townsville
      Mackay
      Brisbane
      Gold Coast
      Spartans
      Logan
      Pirates
      RIP
      Pirates

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Phoenix would have to be in there as well if Rip is going to be in it.

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd be surprised if either of them are in

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m guessing a lot of player movement if clubs are playing in the NBL1. Going to be an interesting few months

On RIP & PHOENIX.
      Here goes. This has been a bone of contention since the forming of Phoenix.

I attended the original open meeting of the union of all the Sunny Coast clubs.
      The meeting included representation from each of the clubs' committees.
      They all agreed to join together at QBL level but also agreed to retain their individual SBL and junior rep teams.

I left that meeting with that clear understanding. I salivated at the thought of getting all the local players together with a couple of stud import /restricted players.
      What a QBL team we could have had and a superb under-structure for the future!
      Then I learned that USC Ripcity had decided to not join after all. Stopped salivating, started frothing.

So now, instead of putting our resources together, we competed. Not only for the players. We also battled for sponsors, fans (although the regional rivalry is very good come game nights) even media.

Here's a possible Sunshine Coast team from the two teams last season. I will only include locals who either played their junior years here on the coast, or at least lived here shortly after, like with the family.

Zane Meehl
      Zeke Meehl
      Josh Tueta
      Isaih Tueta
      Jamal Robateau (played elsewhere but budget would have allowed him to be brought home),
      Darnell Robateau
      Nelson Kahler, (played elsewhere but budget would have allowed him to be brought home)
      Johnno Johnson (who played in NZ, I think could have been brought home),
      Josh Walters,
      Malakai Mitchell,
      Ant Kleine
      4 to 6 youngsters with a couple/few seasons already under their belts.
      + 2 restricted players!
      And (new rule) a marquee player whose eligibility points don't count, at all (like 3 restrict-eds instead of 2)!
      That leaves out legitimate contenders in players like Massingale and Ilton, among others, who do, now live here.

There's a great team, in there with some damn good players left out. Add to them the younger, up-coming juniors from all our Sunny C clubs and we can both/all still field competitive teams in what will be the QSL (current QBL), and SBL.

In the previous thread's comments, there are those who think that only one of these 2 clubs or even neither of them will make the jump. I fear that too.

I won't pose the obvious question/answer. PLEASE....NOW for NBL1 North.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Where do you see the Coast BB in 10 years ? Having two (or even 3) separate associations will only grow basketball in the region and give more opportunities to the locals to aspire to. The sooner people can accept that growth is the only way to eventually build quality, not only in players but also coaches and administration, the sooner the coast will be a dominant force going forward, and not just for one or two years.

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with 19.3, the 3 areas of growth on the Sunny Coast are South (Caloundra), Central (Maroochydore) and North (Noosa/Gympie way).
        The big issue is that you have 2 clubs literally 5 km’s away from each other fighting for market share so it’s not 2 clubs fighting for the Coast, they are just fighting for a 20/30 km radius.
        It’s like if Caps and Spartans were 5 minutes away from each other, they would probably have to shut down or merge as well.
        Caloundra is growing with Aura (??) expanding and has no competition. Noosa is growing as well with no competition as well.
        In 10 years realistically there should be 3 associations on the Coast as stated before.
        Realistically Clippers and Rip should merge and have 2 3 Court facilities to do all their comps and play Qbl out of arguably the best facility in QBL at the Uni.

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Rob T, in theory mate, would truly be awesome for the coast and the team would be extremely competitive for any comp, but practical, NO! Way to many ego’s at both associations, unfortunately it will never happen. The Rip committee are way to stubborn (Rip was born with people who disliked how they and their family’s were treated by then the clippers organization (who now have turned out to do exactly the same thing with their members they didn’t like) go figure! On top of that the current Maroochydore clippers club is now cashed up, by not only the government grant to extend their stadium, but also the coin from the QBL games which they don’t have to share with their fellow Phoenix clubs, ouch to both the Noosa and Caloundra clubs. Way to many politically issue’s happening on the Sunshine Coast for any chance at being a real force.

Josh Wilcher not with Townsville Heat next year? Where is he off to?

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Off to the south

Does anyone know the time-frame for clubs to nominate which competition they wish to play in. Also any idea if there is any sort of league acceptance process or is just up to clubs to choose what division they play in. I was wondering what happens if most QBL clubs choose NBL1.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe that the thinking is that most of the (current) QBL teams will join NBL1. QBL will cease to exist and will be replaced with a comp called QSL. With the talk I have heard seems that the most obvious outcome will be a QSL that resembles the former Southern Cross comp, a half state (SE Queensland) comp (the northern teams to all join in the NBL1).

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Any news on who would be in QSL then?

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Gladstone
        Nth GC
        Northside
        Bundaberg
        South West
        Possibly - Ipswich, Sunny Coast of some description & Toowoomba

Why would South West want to compete in a part state league, 5th largest association in the state and have been in QABL.QBL since 2002- even when it was 8 teams

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Do they not need to have a mens and womens team to nominate in the same division?

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Good questions about Mens and Womens team, I do not know, i don't think they have to down south.

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        yes have to both be in the same comp

I am trying to understand what would really be the difference at the end of the day with NBL 1 for what I believe would be a more expensive league.
      1) Live streaming
      2) Opportunity to play for a national championship.
      What else is there? Am I missing something?

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        marketing and social media!

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Opportunity for players to be recognised in a National Format like the old days. Get to compete for it all. That’s worth it alone

That's not a bad start.

Let me guess that you play (at whatever level, doesn't matter). Now tell me that you would not opt for a "better" comp, given the chance.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Absolutely, anybody would opt for a better league (given you are an administrator, official, coach or player!) But thats not really my question - my question is what makes it a better competition then what we have today with QBL. I am not sure that I am quite sold on the fact that a 'better social media' makes it the next level league..
        This is not a derogatory question or statement it is more of a question of understanding cause if I had a business (being a basketball assoc) these are the questions I would like answered.

So if I was to list them out at the moment the benefits (or supposed benefits) are:
        1) Full home and away competition (I think)
        2) Live streamed (assist with selling the product to perspective sponsors)
        3) National Champions (again assist with selling to perspective sponsors)
        4) Up weighted social media campaign (a little bit of so what however better then nothing and once again helps with sponsors)
        5) Better marketing campaign (be interested to see what this actually means so once again a little bit of so what at this stage but happy to see)

In summary, if it costs more and there are more imports (therefore higher costs) I am not sold yet!
        Anyone able to give a more clearer snapshot of what the key benefits are as I have just had a stab in the dark

So if it's more expensive to be part of it will also have the problem of ruling out some major team sponsors like McDonald's and car dealerships, which will hurt finances

Comment

NBL 1

Cairns
        Townsville
        Mackay
        Rockhampton
        Brisbane
        Spartans
        Logan
        Gold Coast

QSL
        Gladstone
        Bundaberg
        RIP
        Sunshine Coast
        Northside
        South West
        Ipswich
        North GC
        Toowoomba

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Who says thats the list?

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s a sensible list. But

1. A Sunshine Coast teams needs be in top tier, can the two basket cases get their shit together and work this out?

2. Bundaberg not ready for QSL. Maybe the division below that.

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          The 'list' was my attempt to separate the league based on performance and ability to spend the $ on a full home/away NBL 1 comp.

Bundaberg may not be ready for a QSL competition but all info points to the SBL not being open to anyone above the Sunshine Coast....so it is the only option they have got.

Sunshine Coast teams involved in their little spat do nothing but weaken their opportunity. Does anyone remember the old Sunstate and Southern Cross Leagues......Caloundra Suns and Mdore both played in the Southern Cross with 0, zero, zip, nadda a team from the SC in the higher profile Sunstate league.

you have no idea

Comment

I put this post above but I am genuinely interested if anyone out there can shed any light on why this is a 'better league'

Absolutely, anybody would opt for a better league (given you are an administrator, official, coach or player!) But thats not really my question - my question is what makes it a better competition then what we have today with QBL. I am not sure that I am quite sold on the fact that a 'better social media' makes it the next level league..
          This is not a derogatory question or statement it is more of a question of understanding cause if I had a business (being a basketball assoc) these are the questions I would like answered.

So if I was to list them out at the moment the benefits (or supposed benefits) are:
          1) Full home and away competition (I think)
          2) Live streamed (assist with selling the product to perspective sponsors)
          3) National Champions (again assist with selling to perspective sponsors)
          4) Up weighted social media campaign (a little bit of so what however better then nothing and once again helps with sponsors)
          5) Better marketing campaign (be interested to see what this actually means so once again a little bit of so what at this stage but happy to see)

In summary, if it costs more and there are more imports (therefore higher costs) I am not sold yet!
          Anyone able to give a more clearer snapshot of what the key benefits are as I have just had a stab in the dark

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            As I see it, you will have a comp with the TOP teams nationally competing, with the overall standard improving. I really can't see un-competitive teams sticking around with the increased costs.

I am from the Sunny Coast and will use my region as example.

We have Phoenix and Rip in QBL. I can't see either team affording, competing or being viable in NBL1. Mainly a matter of $'s. Combine their budgets for one team and voila, S.C will be able to afford, compete and be viable in a 2nd tier national comp. Honestly, it's almost that simple. We both have players, coaches, administrators, sponsors and volounteers a-plenty but they are spread/shared between the 2 clubs. Unite (ha, I say, unfortunately) and we can be every bit as viable as any other Qld teams and likely any team in NBL1.

I personally, would be saddened if one team did go and the other didn't, as your Gold Coast prediction shows where one team goes and the other doesn't. In an earlier post I suggested the same scenario for the Goldie to have one (united) team, and even for Brisbane area to become 3 teams, BBI, Southern Dists, and united others (S.W., Logan, Northside and Ipswich)(changed my thoughts on Bris area teams since other post. Shows how fickle I can be!).

Then QSL could become almost the mirror of the Southern Cross with the original teams, admittedly weakened (by better players playing in NBL1), but that will be true for all teams. Might even get Bundy back (&Glady?). So, as I see it the benefits even trickle through the remaining state-run comps, the QSL & SBL.

The northern teams are probably where they belong. A comp where every team will be a challenge. I am assuming that the cost won't bother them too much and their infrastructures (people, facilities, sponsors etc) are already in place.

In that earlier post, I went on to suggest that if the Southern cross moved to a mid-week schedule (say 3 to 5 years from now) then the NBL1 players may be able to play for their original team under some special licensing.

So, i see those benefits as very significant. If you don't agree, then someone else will have to try to convince you. Cheers!

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            QSL move to being a midweek competition in 3-5 years? Don't be silly, NOBODY is going to watch a midweek competition, and you're not getting players travelling for it.

"Come on now!"

I think many local players are going to love the introduction of QSL. Less imports means more time on the floor rather than being a spectator on the bench.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            It's not the "imports" mate it's the wins! It's the excitement of the product. For most businesses it's a pissing contest amongst the community and a "look at me" situation for box holders. It's about alligning brands, so the basketball side of it needs to be a winning brand at home.

When sponsors bring potential partners and clients to games they want to see fast paced above the rim action, not the local fat kid from the u18 team.

The level of player you bring in to represent your brand is crucial. If it's not a "show" then the money given is a donation (probably a mum or dad of a kid at the club) and that's not sustainable.

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Sponsor here. Personally don’t care about imports, care that team I’m sponsoring plays hard and fair with a good attitude. Exciting players throwing down dunks is a pleasant bonus. But ultimately care more
            about team giving my brand exposure, that’s where the bucks are made back and gets me sponsoring the team again.

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Of course I respect your stance. That's really genuine of you to tip the cash in as long as players "play hard". I wish more sponsors across world sport thought like that, but unfortunately it's not the case. No win no cash is how it rolls, especially in the bigger markets where there is a lot more options to sponsor. Regions is tough too cause it's such a small place where everyone knows everyone and you want to be in the cool club winning games. Ask some of the losing state teams in different sports are travelling with sponsor dollars.

Anyone know of any player movements? Surely players in teams downgraded to qsl will jump ship to nbl1 rosters?

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Surely Gladstone has signed their full QSL roster by now.....what are they waiting for !
        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x

What year did Sydney last host the Olympics?

Working...
        X