** MEN **

Saturday 10th August
    (8) Logan @ (1) Caps
    (7) Rip @ (2) Gold Coast
    (6) Mackay @ (3) Townsville
    (5) Rocky @ (4) Cairns

• Ben
    commented on Guest's reply
    Again, would be nice, but cost ineffective. Travel costs generally too prohibitive. Pretty much would only work for SEQ matchups.

Guest commented on Guest's reply
    And thoughts on home and away series instead? Top team gets games 1 & 3 and bottom team gets game 2

• Ben
    commented on Guest's reply
    I think current hosting arrangements of the finals series are fine. Would be cool to have both mens/women’s games played after each other at the same venue. Where do you play though? SNC? Chandler is not great for spectators.

Ultimately highest seed deserves being rewarded financially and given a home court advantage. Would Spartans and Caps have been happy giving up gate, bar and canteen takings to play at a neutral venue? Probs not.

I think what is more interesting is if there is a push to bring the semi finals to a three game series also. Given the expenditure and efforts by teams to make it that far, and the general talent in the league, seems a little deflating that grand finalists are decided by a single game.

They were essentially an iPhone in a league full of old nokia phones. They copy and pasted an NBL/NBA game play. A QBL version of what Golden State has attempted to do. Have elite playmakers off onballs (Cadee, Anderson), have a tonne of spot up shooters to keep the floor spread, and have an elite rim protector and rim runner/above the rim finisher in Magnay. It's the key to modern success.

The Nokia's were still running prehistoric sets and defensive schemes. And very few adjustments made by coaches against Brisbane. Brisbane weren't a bad match up for Gold Coast, they were a bad match up for everyone! I actually don't think Magnay even lost a single game all year! When was the last time a player went undefeated? Pretty impressive.

The league is too good now with the resources used across the board, if you're going to roll out some old school nonsense you could get embarrassed.

I feel if BQ would want a neutral facility they would host in Chandler. But where is the home team atmosphere in that?

What if both north or south teams are in a final? Then we do a home vs away best of 3 series. Thoughts?

Guest replied
    Not being disrespectful, just after some insight. Caps won by 20 in G1, 50 in G2. Those margins are unheard off for deciders AFAIK.

How did the Caps manage to completely wreck the Rollers? Was it purely an awful mismatch for the GC? Someone said they 'ran out of legs'. I fail to see how that could be the case given these are all great athletes and a whole team isn't simply going to run out of gas.

Leave a comment:

That Fan fair guy

People have short memories.

Mick Conlon coached at the GC for years and they made the top 4. He then gets sacked in favour of a 'respected local coach' who managed 2 or 3 wins in a couple of seasons. Meanwhile Mick Conlon goes to Ipswich where they get to the playoffs every year.

Mick goes back to the Gold Coast and makes playoffs in year one and GF in year 2. The program is now well supported, well sponsored and making the improvements. No offence but what happened to Ipswich after they push him out.........

Bottom line, Conlon coached teams attract sponsors, achieve growth and have success.

The original post is probably from Ipswich where the folks hold a grudge.... right next to their hip flask and KFC buckets.

Who was the announcer (i wasnt there)

Not a big blame the refs guy but the reffing in the finals was putrid this season! Vaughn should hang his head in shame. It's sad because I honestly feel the standard of refs has been on the rise for the past 5 years.

Please don't get me wrong as the reffing did NOT change who the Champion should of been! This is Brisbane 10x over! They were the best team all year! Deserved to be Champs!

The reffing from the finals was bad in all games I viewed. 3 years of cleaning up illegal screens came down like a house of cards in the finals where it was more like a game of bumper cars! Poor

#36.1 - Please provide your justification for why the reffing was 'fine'. I was at the game and as a Brisbane Capitals fan I can honestly say it is the first time I have seen home court advantage for the team in many years. By no stretch would the Rollers have won the games, but I do think the consistency of calls rewarded the more up tempo style of the Caps.

Not sure how have a neutral faculty will help if northern teams in finals?

Reffing was fine, and not one player will leave to play in another league because of it. Lol.

Guest replied
    Congratulations to the Brisbane Capitals for taking out the title. Zac Carter stated it correctly when he thanked the program over the last 7 years.......7 years.

Gold Coast finished in 2nd place and even though they were out classed, never did they stop fighting on every play. This is their second year together.

Take aways from the game/s at Auchenflower:

1. Will Magnay went full beast mode. If the Bullets don't use him this year in the NBL, then either Lemanis is the coach getting the sack or his agent should chase other options.

2. Jason Cadee was regular season MVP and went triple double in the the final. This appears to be his elite level. Maybe the NBL is too quick for him. Should play a bench role with Bullets.

3. Aaron Anderson gets his reward for toiling away with the Caps for what 4 or 5 seasons. Well done.

4. Thalo Green is a dead set Benjamin Button, guy competes hard and plays to win. Still has value in the league.

5. GC Offence was slow and stagnant compared to the Caps. However put a Magnay type in a Rollers uniform, different story. With rim protection, energy and finishing the game would have been more competitive.

6. The music and announcer at BBI is one of the biggest detraction's from the game full stop. Lame jokes and terrible music. To make the same joke every night about misplaying the National Anthem is painful and disrespectful. No wonder he has been 'removed' from other associations.

7. The three referees that did the game/s at Auchenflower. If those are the best three Qld has to offer....we are in trouble. Game management especially was poor. Missing initial contact and calling the subsequent defender trying to regain position etc shows a complete lack of understanding. As ab example friday nights game was a cracker until a poorly placed offensive foul and tech was called on Petrie. Sure he shouldn't have retaliated to the pestering fouls of Cadee, but the refs should not have let it get to that point. Poor management. Quality players will elect to play in southern leagues that have better.

8. Overall Brisbane Basketball ran a quality event.

9. With 4 southern teams in finals, talk will return to BQ hosting the finals at a neutral facility to capitalise. Has merit but not sure BQ would be willing to take the financial risk. BQ is kinda like a mule with a spinning wheel, nobody knows how he got it and they are damned if he knows how to use it.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x

What year is it?

Working...
X